Keji wrote:I should make a thread for all these questions, sheesh.
Another question came up in our chat today. Wolverine and healing.
We still aren't 100% on how recovery works in Action Scenes when you have Stamina Trait. Is it:
You roll die pool that fits vs Doom Pool + Stress Die, if your Effect is equal or larger to the stress die, you remove it, if it's smaller, you step it back. Alternatively, you may spend 1PP to trigger Healing SFX if you have it, like Wolverine does.
Does that mean that he can keep taking d4 distinction and spending that PP in the same action to trigger the sfx till he drops?
Right. Keep in mind, though, that a healing action is an action
. Even if you're doing it via Plot Point. Healing Factor isn't Invulnerability; you have to already have the stress.
1. So the simple case is, you use it on your action, and it is your action. You spend a PP, you roll no dice, you compare your stamina die-size to your physical stress and step back or eliminate as appropriate. In the case of Wolverine with his Stamina D12, this is always going to be eliminate.Since it isn't a die roll, you have no chance to earn a PP by using a D4 Distinction in the simple case
. You have to already have a PP.
2. The slightly more complex case is, you can combine Healing Factor with another action the same way you'd otherwise do two things at once, by spending a PP for an extra effect die. The rules that apply here that I understand are:
* your effect die you want to use for your healing factor can't be bigger than your Stamina die size
* the effect die you choose gets compared to your physical stress, not your stamina die
Here Wolverine could find himself in a situation where he's effect die for his healing action is a D8 or D10, and only stepping back stress rather than eliminating it. On the bright side, he gets to do stuff.
3. Also note that, since healing factor takes an action, Wolverine can still be stressed out physically, either by being one-shotted or being ganged up on between goes. Which is what happens in the comics.
4. Presumably you could
invoke healing factor via successful reaction roll plus PP, in which case you compare the effect die to your current physical stress and step back or eliminate as appropriate.
Things I Don't Know But Would Like To:
* If you have a Stamina trait but don't have Healing Factor, you can roll a regular ol' healing action on your turn in an action scene. Can you ALSO do the "heal via second effect die for a PP" trick, or is that only available to characters with the healing factor SFX? Same question re healing via reaction roll.
* If the latter, does invoking healing factor as a second effect die cost you one PP or two? IOW, "I spend a PP to get my second effect die, which is the die for my healing-factor SFX," OR "I spend a PP to get my second effect die, and I spend another
PP to invoke my healing-factor SFX using that die?"
* Exact same question applied to using healing factor on a successful reacion? One PP total because it's applying an effect die from a reaction roll, or two PPs total to invoke healing-factor SFX using that die you just bought?
* If I'm playing Wolverine and want to heal via an extra effect die on my action roll, does declaring this in advance justify including my Stamina D12 in my attack pool? I want to say, No! But I could be wrong.