Now with MHR I think I have the tools I need to have another go at it. I'm still in the stage where I'm very roughly sketching things out but I thought I'd look for some input here.
Currently I'm planning on using the following set of stats:
- Relationships. These will be pretty much like in Smallville, I think, though I'll probably fold in Extras and Features into the same mechanic but cap the die rating for them at a d8.
- Distinctions. As in MHR - around three of them, used at d8 or d4 + PP.
- Specialties. Similar to MHR, though probably with a d6 rating as well. The Specialties themselves will be very different, probably including things like Dreaming and Trickery.
- Power Sets. Right now I'm planning for each character to have two, one for their kith and one for their court.
- I'm renaming Affiliations as Loyalties. There will be many more of these, probably including Self, Motley, Court, Kith, Freehold, Sovereign and something for one's mortal family, friends and allies.
While I do want the players to have fun using their Kool Powerz I want the game to focus more on Relationships and Loyalties, so I'd like to give them a bit of extra mechanical weight. I was thinking of adding something SFX-like to them, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or how it would work.
Any comments welcome.